Tasmanian Speedway Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Photography Stuff

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
angryman
angryman

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff EmptySun Feb 28, 2010 4:27 pm

Ever wondered how to a certain photo was created?

Ever taken a photo and wondered why it didnt come out as planned?

Want to know how to achieve a particular effect when taking that special shot?

Well....ask away. I dont have all the answers, but who know, I might me able to help you out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angrymanphotography.com.au
TassieSuperSedan
Admin
TassieSuperSedan

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 am

I have for you Jarrod....
Years ago I brought a couple photos from a photographer on the minaland, and they had a real 'speed' effect to them. What I mean is the photo of the car was all there, but the car appeared to have speed streaks so to speak behind it, making it appear to be going super fast.

How do you acheive this effect? I have tried before but failed miserably.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tassiesupersedan.com
angryman
angryman

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff EmptyMon Mar 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Without seing the photos, I can only assume how this was done.

Generally, an untouched (as in original) photo wont have these trails. It is possible to get light trails in photos, but from your description, it sounds like the whole car is blurring behind.

When you take a photo of a car in motion, and to capture the motion, you need the shutter speed open for slightly longer than you would normally do. A fast shutter speed will snap the action, and freeze the background. The only true way to blur the background and keep the car sharp is a technique called panning. This is where you leave the shutter open a bit longer, and follow the car. If you manage to pull it off (its tricky) then the car will be pin sharp and the background will blur. This is because, as far as the camera was concerned, the car stayed in the same part of the lens, while the background moved. Such as this photo:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

As you can see, there are no trails behind the car.

If there are trails behind the car, then its likely been photoshopped. The most common way to do this is to seperate the car and background in photoshop, and motion blur the background. Because the car is excluded, it stays sharp, but parts of it will be used by the computer to generate the blur. It basically takes the whole picture, and smudges it to the right slightly. You will end up with an effect like this:

Its generally frowned upon by pro photographers, but its a way of adding more motion to a photo when you failed to capture it at the time you took the photo, or to increase the illusion of speed.

Its also possible to take a completely static image like this parked car:

and do the same effect using the above techniques in photoshop

To the unsuspecting, you might think it was a photo of marcus in full flight, but no matter how good you are at photoshop, there are always tell tale signs that its been altered.

The best thing to do, is practice, practice and practice until you can nail a panning shot.
Back to top Go down
number14

number14

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Angryman & looking at your pictures are spot on for sure......I will however give Damon his dues as well....To sum it up with out you guys capturing the images, speedway most likely would be be suffering for sure........well done guys.....
Back to top Go down
angryman
angryman

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 7:40 am

Absolutely, Damon has done a great job in lifting the profile of the sport with his website and photos. Credit where credit is due....

However, I'm not sure where Damon comes into the above question, seeing as they were bought off a mainland photographer Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Photography Stuff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Photography Stuff   Photography Stuff Empty

Back to top Go down

Photography Stuff
Page 1 of 1